9.10.2010

The Real First Day... and Tomatoes (Again)

This morning Grace and I talked the whole way to school about, well, school. What will it be like not having me there, what will they do all morning, etc, etc. She went back and forth between excitement and fear. I was feeling the same way. I knew if she was fine, I would be fine. On the other hand, if she started crying, I wasn't sure I would be able to hold it together.

The first thing her class does when everyone arrives is go for a walk. The walk had just started when we got there and as we approached the class she clung tighter to me... so I went with them on the walk. When the walk was over I bent down and gave her a hug and kiss and reminded her of the acorn squash and thyme she needed to give to her teacher (it was stone soup day)... and she gave me a hug and a smile and off she went. No tears, no looking back even, just off to her class.

When I came in this afternoon to work she came up to me and whispered, "mom I had so much fun today!"... and suddenly, there came my tears (I'm happy to say though, that I held it together enough so that no one even noticed, most importantly not Grace). There is nothing that could make my heart swell more then to witness one of my children venturing off into the world only to find that the world is indeed a wonderful place to venture into.

lasttomatoes 003

In other news. I picked what I think will be the last of our tomatoes this morning. Thank goodness no one reads my blog or they would surely be tired of all my tomato pictures.

I'm not sure why I feel the need to keep taking pictures of them, other then that I love them. I really do. I think they might be my favorite thing we grow. I will miss you dear tomatoes. One last pot of cream of tomato soup, maybe even enough for dinner and lunch...

No comments: