12.01.2008

So about this move anyway...


Well, I'm not sure it's fair that I just skipped almost the entire month of November being it was such a big month. Yes, there were a few little posts and some pictures here and there but mostly my blogging efforts would lead me to remember the month of November as well, not much. I think it deserves at least one decent, juicy post highlighting some of the good and not so good happenings this month.

So here goes...
Leaving our old house felt oddly...sudden. I mean we had been trying to pack and had got a lot of things carefully wrapped and boxed up. Even labeled as to what was inside and what room to place them in. And I had visions, and intentions (good intentions) of thoroughly documenting our home by taking the video camera through each room, capturing all the little details of what had been our life for the last three years. Then moving day came. Suddenly there was no time for videoing or even picture taking. Not that I would have even wanted to anymore anyway as everything was in complete chaos. And what had started out as such as organized attempt at packing, very quickly became a mad rush of throwing whatever into whatever. I will say we were lucky to have so many dedicated helpers with us that day or we would probably still be moving (for real). But the aftermath was hard to sort threw, especially with two little kids. Not to mention one of whom was (and is) still trying to adjust to a new brother and now a new room, and home, and life. So, for the next few weeks there were many tears and "I miss my old home" talks. And lots of new behavior for this tired mom to try and deal with. Then there was the unpacking and unpacking and unpacking, which had to take place in between meals, and laundry, and bedtimes, and well all the usual stuff. Add to that a two year old who would spend every waking moment playing "you're the baby, I'm the mommy" if I would so oblige. Well and of course don't forget about 4 month old Jackson. Mix all this together and it is the perfect recipe for an overwhelmed, slightly crabby, very sleep deprived me.

However, in between all of these moments (amazing there was anymore room) were glimpses. Just little glimpses of what life would be like once the smoke clears. Like the first few days after we moved in when November tried to pretend to be September. It was sunny and beautiful and we spent as much time as we could outside (getting a taste of what it will be like to live here next spring) playing "guys" on the deck, going for walks, and exploring the overgrown paths and trails through the woods. Then there were all the firsts; first sit down dinner together, first sleep in our new rooms, first bath in the big claw foot tub, oh and first trip taking the garbage out (I have always had a long haul to take garbage out but I think this one takes the cake). There was the day Ryan and Grace went out to do their "farm chores" which I have no idea what these were but loved it anyway. There was the morning of the first snow when Jackson was sleeping and Grace and I went out to play and marvel in it. There's the always present (and most wonderful) underlying feeling of peacefulness- not sure if it's the privacy, the trees, the lack of traffic, or just the knowing that I have finally come home- but it is constantly making me take note of where I am and give thanks. And then there is the beautiful, indescribable fiery orange sunrise that greats me every morning through the bedroom windows, gently reminding me how lucky I am.

All in all, a month I do not want to forget.

No comments: