9.19.2011

Painting Day

With the change in heart about me working this year, and being that I now have the opportunity to be home each day with Grace and Jackson, I decided I wanted to use the rhythm of the Waldorf kindergarten (that I learned so well last year) as a guide for our own days. 

paintingandwalk 005

So each week we begin our Monday morning (right after breakfast) with Painting Day.  While art (and painting) is usually a part of our week on many more occasions then just this.  I decided to dedicate this particular morning (just as they do in kindergarten) to the traditional Waldorf style painting of wet on wet watercolor.  Working in the kindergarten last year I learned to appreciate this style of painting so much, as well as the care, intention, and sense of importance that was put into this task each week.  By limiting the time spent painting (each child paints only one picture) but maximizing the quality of everything involved in it (the very best watercolor paints, paper, and brushes are used) "Painting Day" carried with it a big sense of excitement and appreciation.  And as a result, the children painted the most beautiful paintings. 

This week was the third week of Painting Day and I can already see how much they are loving it.  I often hear throughout the week "is it painting day today?" which I take as a good sign.  And I must say I am enjoying it myself as well.  I always sit down and paint with them (just as the teachers do at school) and it always gets my day off to the right start. 

More about the rest of our weekly rhythm soon...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

neat so glad your writing about your days