11.28.2010

Thanksgiving... Part IV (Soup and Notes)

PoolTree 047

Turkey Noodle Soup (from the Star Tribune Paper)

1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1 yellow onion, chopped
2 tsp. chopped thyme
4 c. low-sodium chicken broth
2 c. baby spinach
2 c. cubed or shredded turkey or chicken
1 and 1/2 c. uncooked wide egg noodles
1 (15-oz.) can cannellini beans, drained
1 (14.5-oz.) can sliced carrots, drained
Salt and pepper to taste

Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add garlic and onions, and cook for 3 minutes. Add thyme and stir to blend. Add broth, spinach, turkey, noodles, beans, carrots, and salt and pepper, and stir well. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer about 15 minutes, or until noodles are tender.

Also some Thanksgiving Day notes for next year...

~ We had two turkeys- a 24 pound one and a 12 pound one- for 16 people. This was not necessary, but it was very nice. We have had plenty to share and eat over the last three days and today I made a double batch of turkey soup.

~ It worked well to have the roasting pan and crock pots downstairs. Next year we will set up that area ahead of time.

~ I gave my mom a bag of potatoes from our garden for mashed potatoes and some fresh sage for the stuffing. I don't know the recipe she used for either of these things but they were both delicious. She should have them again next year.

~ Katie made her cream cheese corn and used 4 bags of corn. This was enough for 16 people with plenty left over (well "plenty" might not quite be accurate since I could eat this corn everyday for the rest of my life).

~ For her green beans she used 3 bags of beans. This was enough for 16 with plenty left over.

~ If we ever end up grilling a turkey again (we roasted the big one and grilled the little one) don't bast with butter right away.

~ Acorn squash worked well in the roasting pan.

~ I loved having edible place-settings. This year I had the kids paint green water colors on paper and cut them out to make leaves for the pears. I suppose we can't really do that again next year but I'd like to think of something similar.

~ Starting to plan and think ahead days and weeks early was so essential to my happiness for the day. I want to make sure and remember to do that next year.

~ Katie needs to stay over the night before Thanksgiving! This is what she concluded after all was said and done and I have to agree. As my co-host it was so great having her there the night before. Much more fun that way (also then if someone has to make a late night trip to the dreaded Walmart at least we can do it together).

~ And actually next year we will plan ahead so there are no late night trips to said store.

No comments: