11.26.2010

Thanksgiving... Part I

Thanksgiving 005

I didn't have a chance to post on Wednesday, the day before Thanksgiving. I did however take this one picture- eating pumpkin muffins and clementines on Thanksgiving Eve.

I have a tendency to get stressed out during the final hours before a big gathering such as this one. I don't like this about myself. It is a holiday, it should be fun, even the planning. So I worked really hard to keep my cheer throughout the day... even though these two followed right along behind me undoing my attempts at order. But in the end everything got done. The house was clean (maybe cleaner then it's ever been), and I even managed to make vegetable soup for dinner. All the while keeping my cheer about me (well mostly). Of course the falling snow, crackling fire, and Christmas music certainly helped.

But maybe even more triumphant, was the fact that Ryan and I got along all day. It is just this sort of planning, cleaning, list checking off kind of day that can cause some tension between us. But on this day, besides a few snips (by me), followed quickly by some "I'm sorries" we got along really well. In fact, at one point, when the kids were both in bed and we were cleaning the kitchen together he suddenly blurted out, "I'm having fun!" Which made me realize that hey, I am too (of course it probably sould be added that he did have a drink in hand when this was said... another aid in increasing your holiday cheer).
I guess I can't ask for more then that the night before 16 people come over for Turkey dinner.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

awesome! I was so excited to see your posts about thanksgiving - looks so great - Im completely inspired!

amy said...

Thanks Heidi!