2.26.2013

Red Lentil Soup

010

Lately I have been feeling inspired to experiment with adding some new (healthy) foods into our lives.  Red lentils were one on the top of my list since they are both tasty and healthy.  I have made lentils before but just as a side, I've never made a meal out of them.  So yesterday I tried making some red lentil soup (recipe found here although I did make just a few changes).  It was so easy to make (and I already had everything which is always a plus) but most importantly it was delicious.  Or at least Grace, and Nora, and I thought so.  

013

Red Lentil Soup

  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 1 carrot sliced
  • 4 cups chicken broth
  • 1 cup dry lentils
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • 1/4 tsp dried thyme
  • 2 bay leaves
  • dash salt
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice
Sautee the onions and carrot in the vegetable oil for 3-5 minutes until onions turn clear.  Add the broth, lentils, pepper, thyme, bay leaves and salt. Reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook until lentils are soft, about 45 minutes. Remove bay leaves and stir in lemon juice before serving.

No comments: