2.13.2013

Snowboarding

006

One of my favorite things about parenting (I have recently decided) is being introduced to new things through my children.  I'm pretty sure I had never even had a thought about snowboarding before this January when we took a family trip to the goodwill and Jackson decided to spend his five dollars on a snowboard.  As soon as we got home and he tried it out he was immediately smitten.  Watching this new passion ignite in him (talking about snowboarding, reading books about snowboarding and actually snowboarding are suddenly occupying much of his days) has sparked something in me too... snowboarding really is pretty great.  Well to watch anyway.

008

So Jackson and I made a plan to spend the day at Afton Alps skiing and snowboarding together.  And one thing that is really great about having me for your mom (well really what's not to love) is my willingness to make an absolute fool of myself for a good cause.
"Okay so has he ever gone snowboarding before?"
"Nope"
"But you ski."
"Nope, well 22 years ago I did a little, does that count?"
"We could maybe get him in for a lesson..."

009

But Jackson didn't want a lesson yet, just the chance to practice on a real hill.  (This hill here was the biggest hill we went on, and only did that once.  The rest of the time was spent on the bunny hill)

010

And he did awesome.  It was sooo fun to watch him.

012

And I didn't do too bad myself... I mean I really conquered that bunny hill.  That's not to say I didn't make a fool of myself... "yeah we don't bring the ski equipment in the chalet. That's what those racks out there are for."  Right.

011

But mostly we just had a really really fun day together, just the two of us.  At lunch we sat and watched all the fancy skiers and snowboarders go down the big, big hills while Jackson tried to figure out how old he would be by the time he would be going down those hills (um, never).

013

We are already making plans to go back...

No comments: