12.08.2010

Her Light

candle 006

Last week Grace (along with the other preschoolers and kindergartners at her school) got to partake in an Advent Spiral. It was such a beautiful little celebration and so touching to watch as a parent. Each child takes their turn walking through a spiral of fresh evergreen branches until they reach the center where they light their own candle from an already lit one, and then place it on a star along the spiral path. When all the children are finished the spiral is glowing with apple filled candles.

She was so proud as she bravely carried her candle to it's star. Everyone told me to bring Kleenex- which I didn't understand at all and I didn't do- but I should have. As one parent put it, "as you watch your child walk through the spiral sometimes you can get a glimpse of how they walk through life." And as I watched Grace circle around, smile on her face and so sure-footed, I did feel as though I was in fact getting just a little glimpse.

Funny how such little things can make you feel so proud as a parent.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

so sweet. gosh you are capruing their childhoods so sweetly - they are going to love to read this journal so much