10.15.2009

Soul Food


The other day when we were at the co-op they had some homemade chili to sample, which Grace and I tried and agreed that we needed to make ASAP. So tonight I made a batch using the squash from our garden... oh so good.

Black Bean Chili with Winder Squash

1 medium winter squash
2 tsp of olive oil (I added a little more)
1 large onion
2 to 4 cloves of garlic (I used four)
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
2 (15 oz) cans of black beans
1 (28 oz) can of diced tomatoes
1 (4 oz) can diced mild green chilies, drained
1 green bell pepper, chopped
salt to taste

I also added some organic ground beef

1. Cut each squash in half, scoop out seeds. Bake in a 350 oven for 30 minutes or until tender.
2. In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, cumin and oregano. Saute, stirring often, until soft, about 5 minutes. Add remaining ingredients except squash and salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat. Simmer gently for 15 minutes. Stir in squash, season with salt.

1 comment:

Myra said...

Looks delicious- and glad I can find the ingredients in China!