9.21.2012

Apples

006

Jackson and I declared this week to be apple week as we had so many apples to tend to.  I wish I could say we are finished but not so.  I will have more work to do this weekend.  

005

But we managed to make 10 jars of apple sauce so far.  This year at the apple orchard we (unknowingly) came during the time the "Sweet Sixteen" apples were ready for picking.  I will now make an effort to go this time every year.  They are so yummy.  And I didn't have to put sugar in our apple sauce this year because they are so sweet.  

015

We also made some really yummy apple cake

1 and 1/2 cups white flour
1 and 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
3 eggs
2 cups sugar
1 cup oil
1 tablespoon vanilla
2 cups diced apples


Mix flour, cinnamon, soda, salt and baking powder together. Beat eggs and add sugar and oil. Add vanilla and dry ingredients. Stir in apples. Pour into 2 greased loaf pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.


022

We have been reading all of our favorite apple books.  ("Apple Cake" you are my favorite fall book.)

007

And enjoying our apple/kale/beet juice using the juicer. 

027

Now somehow I just need to get motivated to can another 10 jars of apple sauce...

No comments: