4.15.2012

Slow Motion and Small Steps

011

Before Nora was born I had several long talks with myself about how different the pace would be around here with a new baby.  (Remember this Amy.  You have gotten use to parenting two fairly self-sufficient children, it's going to feel very different.  Things will move SLOWLY.  Really slowly.  Don't panic.)  These talks helped a lot.  Whenever I find myself getting frustrated with all the things I want to get done I remind myself of these conversations and the fact that there is nothing to be surprised about here.  I knew this is how it would be.  And of course, as with all things, it will pass.

I have also found that making incredibly small lists helps.  For example, this weekend one of my goals was to transplant two strawberry runners into a new bed.  I transplanted five (awesome, I'm already ahead).  I also made the lofty goal of getting the potatoes planted and managed to get that done too.  The other thing I'm working on is my "oh wells".  For example, I wanted to get some sewing in this weekend, didn't happen.  Oh well.  I wanted to mop the floors this weekend, didn't happen.  Oh well.  I wanted to go jogging twice, made it once.  Oh well (well actually "way to go" is probably more like it since until last weekend I hadn't been jogging in over a decade but you get the idea).

And what I am learning to pay attention to instead, are the things NOT on my list that get done.  I spent time with my family this weekend.  I connected with each of my children this weekend.  I gave lots of snuggles this weekend.  I read books with a babe under each arm.  I nursed.  These are the things that really matter. 

Small steps. 
Enjoy the ride.
There's plenty of time for all of it.

No comments: