2.09.2012

Lorry

image-038

Yesterday morning my great aunt Lorry died.  She was 91, almost 92.  I have so many great memories of my inspiring great aunt. 

image-043

Lorry was an amazing sewer, avid traveler (taking her last two trips in her 80's one to Italy with my sister, McKenna, my mom and I and one to Ireland with my mom and my sister), fisherwoman, and a huge nature lover.  She also loved to cook, can, and make her own bread.

One of my favorite times of year when I was little was going to visit her in Austin for Thanksgiving.  All of our relatives would be there, most of them in the kitchen scurrying around helping with Thanksgiving dinner.  I remember their three season porch was used as an extra refrigerator and would be filled with pies and other Thanksgiving goodness.

She had given us each a baby (that we named the "Austin Babies" as they didn't come home with us when we left) and had covered cigar boxes in contact paper and filled them with doll clothes she had made for each baby.

My sister and I spent most of our time playing with those babies, or playing "sneaky snake", a game where we would sneak around and "spy" on everyone.  One year we discovered this hole underneath their stairs that made the perfect hideout for sneaky snake.  We kept that hole a secret for a few Thanksgivings I think.  But then one year someone finally caught us peaking out from under there.

002

Unfortunately, in the last several years of her life Lorry had started to loose her sight, needed a walker to get around, and was suffering from dementia.  While I will miss her so, I also can't help get a little excited for her when I think of her finally being able to see, walk and be free again.  Or maybe even do some fishing.

Thanks for the memories and inspiration Lorry.  I will miss you.

No comments: