12.30.2011

Letting Go

20111228_142731

Tuesday morning I woke up and declared it an official getting ready for baby day (and month quite honestly).  I had lists and plans and grand ambitions.  I went to my doctor appointment, came home, made lunch and was just ready to get started when I smelled something.  Something burning.  Sure enough, Ryan ran upstairs and there was a fire in our attic.  The light in our bedroom had burned out of it's socket and was lying on our bed.  Ryan could see flames in the ceiling.  I grabbed the fire extinguisher and handed it off to him.  The fire seemed small and after spraying the hole he felt he might have gotten it out.  But when he went to the attic to check it was full of smoke and didn't look good.  We called 911 and within minutes we had 8 emergency vehicles in our driveway.  While the fire actually was "out" it wasn't safe yet and they had to spray water and cut a huge hole in our ceiling to be sure they got it all. 

To make a long story short, there was no baby nesting that day, or the day after, or any day after that.  Instead we are staying in a hotel while things get cleaned, repaired, and new electrical is put it.

There was a part of me that wanted to resist.  To refuse to accept our circumstances.  After all, baby is due is a matter of weeks.  What if we're still not home. 

But thankfully I came to my senses.  We are all okay, and that of course is all that really matters. 

And really the world is a good place.  People are kind.  Friends, family and neighbors have all offered to help in anyway they can- with our kids, making us dinner, or simply putting a good book in our mailbox.  We found a local restaurant that we love that gives us the "house fire discount". 

20111228_104227

And being in a hotel isn't so bad.  There is a cleaning lady after all.  Someone vacuums for me.  I could get use to that.

20111228_071410

So I'm not really sure the order of things, but I do know that at some point, I will be back home- with a new (awesome) bed, a clean house, and most importantly a little baby. 

Until then, I will let go and enjoy the moment.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

geez - weve been thinking of you guys a lot - I am so amazed and impressed with your positive attitude about everything - very inspiring - love the "fire in your house" discount. can you go home tomorrow?

Jason said...

OMG Amy...I'm just reading this now:( I'm sorry- that is so scary! But like Heidi said...awesome positive attitude. We did the hotel thing when i was young from a house fire, and then again when we were married from the frozen pipes...but not with 2 young kids and one on the way...but way to look on the bright side...no housework for you;) Take full advantage! Love you!!

amy said...

Thanks girls! Ang I remember you and Jason staying in a hotel when your house flooded, I actually was thinking about you guys when this all happened. We have now been here for two weeks but I think (fingers crossed) we get to go home on Wednesday!!