12.19.2011

Her Party

grace6 068

It was such a special party, with such a wonderfully nice group of friends.  I feel so lucky that Grace already has such kind people in her life.

grace6 078

grace6 076

We decorated cookies, made bird feeders, and of course ate cake and ice cream.

cakegrace

Later we went outside for a little winter gnome treasure hunt and then a game of "Mr. Fox" (great picture of me).

grace6 091

(My 6 year old "Fox".)

grace6 095

Aunt Katie came to help for the day too which was so great.

grace6 102

When I asked her what her favorite part of the party was she said "all of it".  I guess it can't get any better then that right.

But I think my favorite part of Grace's birthday each year happens when she goes to bed.  Every year on her birthday party night she surprises me with some wise words of gratitude.  When she was three on the night of her birthday she told me she "loved and appreciated me".  This year when I went to lie down with her for a few minutes before she drifted off to sleep she couldn't stop talking about the day and how much fun she had.  When I finally insisted that we'd better stop talking so she can get a good night sleep she ended with, "Mom, you made my day so special. I know I don't always realize how lucky I am to have a mom who does so many nice things for me, but I'm really lucky." 

It's funny how some words can carry so much more weight then others.  Those words will somehow have the ability to carry me through all sorts of things- including a lot of not so good words that I'll surely hear again soon- but also new baby moments, sibling arguments, more birthday parties, and whatever else comes my way. 

I'm really lucky too Grace.  Happy Birthday and I love you.

No comments: