4.07.2010

Experiment 3: Day 1

danceandpark 022

For my next experiment I wanted to practice playing with my children while staying fully in the moment. I feel like as I go about my day, I've mastered the whole "include them in your work" philosophy, as I have no problem cleaning, doing laundry, etc. as they play and occasionally "help out" around me. And while I feel good about this, as I do believe it is important for children to see you doing housework (and play a part in it themselves), I also believe in the importance of play. Play builds trust, connection, and love between adults and children. Plus playing gets me out of that serious mom mode that sometimes overtakes me as I float around trying to check things off my to do list. While it is true that I already spend at least some time playing with my children everyday, I feel like it's more of a "multitasking kind of play"... as in Grace and I play cooking while I make dinner. And while that is also wonderful, I want to work at experiencing more of the fully present playing, as I think there can be so much joy and love to shared in such moments. So here is my experiment...

Spend a little time (at least 15 to 30 minutes) a day playing with my children. During this time I have to be authentically enjoying myself, and I have to be fully present (not letting my mind wonder to what's next, etc.). I will do this experiment for 7 days and record my observations here on my blog.

Day 1
danceandpark 017

So today we danced. Well actually we put on a show... for an imaginary audience of course. We got all dressed up (I was wearing a beautiful dark blue sequin number since there where no more tutus available), put on some music, and danced and danced. I thoroughly enjoyed myself. It's quite liberating... getting into that little kid mindset and tossing all your cares away.

danceandpark 032

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

smile