2.08.2010

Experiment 2: Day 1

Candle 007
Task: To meditate everyday and reflect on the experience.

As I sit here, the sink filled with dishes because there is no hot water supply to our kitchen right now, the soft beep coming from the broken button on the basement watersoftner indicating that we need salt (even though we actually don't), the puddle on the kitchen floor from the leaking pipes, I realize that everyday, every moment, I have a choice. What will I pay attention to... what will I focus my energy on. Of course everyone has this choice, but somehow, the present moment living of being at home with little children makes this choice so much more... apparent. Maybe it's because the day is not usually filled so much with mediocre moments, but more often it seems to be made up of a lot of highs and lows. The above being my low moments of the day.

The highs of today being the back rub my children gave me this morning, or all of us working together to clean and organize their play kitchen, or the two of them playing joyfully in the sink while I was able to talk on the phone with a friend without interruption, or (my favorite thing in the world) all of us snuggled in bed together reading books. I'm just not sure there is another job out there where the day to day moments are so able to pull at your heartstrings, in one direction or the other. And everyday, I get to pick which moments I will pay attention to. Which ones will I sit with as I lay in bed at the end of the day. And so I chose... the good ones, the ones that fill me up, that remind me why I do this, and allow me to drift off to sleep with a smile.

No comments: