2.25.2009

Better?



Today was a good day. It was not without it's moments, but overall it was really good. And so I'm going to celebrate that (and by celebrate I mean bake a half batch of oatmeal cookies and eat them... all). Something that is interesting... last night Ryan and I were talking about Grace and he said something rather insightful, "I've noticed every time you talk to Jackson in that baby sort of voice Grace just stares at you. I feel like she wants you to be like that with her." That made sense to me, I'm sure that voice I use with Jackson sounds much more loving then just the everyday voice that I use when talking to her. As I continued to ponder his words, I looked down at the book I was reading to find the author offering almost the same advice... play "baby" with your child. This is something Grace and I have done before but not quite with this intent. The idea is to play and be silly, but secretly you are also helping her to meet a need. By talking to her in that baby voice, and treating her like a baby, she is getting attention she feels she is missing. Well being someone who can't ignore signs, I thought I needed to give this a try. So today during Jackson's nap we played baby and she loved it. She loved it so much she wanted to play it several more times throughout the day. And I have to say, her behavior today was so much better. It could be a coincidence I know, but as someone who believes in play therapy (and wants to learn it someday) I think this playing was really therapeutic for her. Time will tell I guess.

No comments: