11.05.2015

On Being Sick

001

The day after Halloween I was very tired.  I assumed it must have been from all of the late nights I had stayed up taking care of everyone.  I spent the afternoon napping on the couch thinking I must just need to catch up on some sleep.

007

But by nighttime I realized I was coming down with what everyone else had.  The next morning the kids were so sweet to me.  They came and checked on me and brought me peppermint tea.  They even did their school work all on their own.

016

By lunch time things were starting to come undone but at least by then I was capable of getting out of bed for short periods of time.  Then by Tuesday afternoon I was feeling completely back to myself.  Tuesday happened to be an absolutely beautiful day so we spent as much time as we could outside.

012

I washed and hung out all the sheets and blankets and opened all the windows.  By the end of the day our house couldn't have been any fresher.

While being sick is mostly miserable, I do find that the situation often gives way to small tender moments.  There is something in me that (aside from the night shift) finds contentment in caring for my sick children.  Keeping the diffuser filled with eucalyptus oils, making chicken noodle soup, reading more books and watching extra shows, and of course so much snuggling.  Similarly, when I am sick I am equally as content to let others take care of me.  I think having Nora sit on my bed and write me get well letters and then read them to me is for sure what finally made me feel all better.

003

No comments: