10.30.2011

My Girl and Her Knitting

001

Last summer, when I started knitting my first sweater, Grace suddenly became very interested in knitting.  She begged me to teach her, and I hesitated a little since, well, I barley knew how to knit myself.  But I showed her anyway and to my surprise, she got it.  After she finished her small square, she was determined to make something with the same yarn I used for the sweater.  She decided on a scarf to which (I'm embarrassed to admit) I never really thought she would finish, mostly because it seemed like such a big undertaking for a five year old and I thought she would probably lose interest along the way.  But instead her interest grew, and she worked and worked.  And sure enough, she finished the scarf, only to declare that now she needed a hat.

002

So a hat was made (while I learned to make one along with her since I had never made one myself before).  And now she's moved on to making wash clothes for the new baby (really "soft and pretty ones, that the baby will love"). 

I'm so, so proud of her, but even more so, I'm so excited.  As we sit and knit together she will constantly say, "mom, I love knitting so much" and I just keep thinking... even if this ends up being the only thing we have in common someday, I am so lucky.  What a great thing to be able to share with each other.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

so cute!