6.13.2011

My First Real Knitting

Sweater 001

Up until about two weeks ago my only knitting experience consisted of three squares, or "washcloths" to be exact. And while I really did kind of start to get the hang of it by square three, I still found it quite challenging. It seemed that knitting would just never be something I would be good at.

Sweater 002

But then a few weeks ago a friend at work (who did not know how to knit when I first met her at the beginning of the year) was suddenly knitting herself a pair of pants, I became inspired. I made a trip to our local knitting shop where I picked out some chunky soft wool and asked for some help finding a very easy baby sweater pattern. The shop owner immediately took me under her wing and got me started.

Sweater 006

A few days (and several trips back to the store) later, I finished this sweater. And while it is definitely not perfect, I still can't believe I did it. To me it is like magic that a ball of yarn can turn into a piece of clothing.

So tomorrow I get to give it away to it's new owner, my two month old niece Marina who is in town visiting this month. Can't wait.

3 comments:

Jason said...

NO WAY! OMG...I'm SO impressed! Look at you...seriously, I think you now know how to do everything. I was just looking at my knitting stuff after we unpacked thinking how much I need to get back into it...I love doing it, and I love the reward of finishing. You should be really proud of yourself- I am:)

Anonymous said...

no kidding what dont you do amy??? looks really impressive...I dont think Id be able to give that away. knitting parties this fall?????

amy said...

Thanks guys!! Yes, I'm hooked, already working on a second. It is such as easy pattern! I'll share it, you'll be amazed at how fast it knits up...how about knitting party this summer!?