5.21.2011

Nettles

I recently was reminded by our good friends that it's nettle season. I love nettles. Love that they are everywhere, love the numerous health benefits, and (surprisingly) I love the taste of them.

nettlesgardens 005

While nettle tea is always fun to make, what I had really been wanting to try since this winter (when I got this awesome book), is nettle soup. Both Grace and Jackson recently got sick again with a cold and I decided it was time to try and rebuild all of our immunities. This soup is great for that.

nettlesgardens 004

2 tbsp of butter
1 medium onion finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
3 medium potatoes peeled and chopped
450g of freshly picked nettle tops (er, ah, no clue about the 450 grams since I don't have a cooking scale... we just picked a lot)
1 qt of veg. stock
2/3 cup of cream
freshly ground nutmeg
salt and pepper

Melt the butter and saute the onion and garlic for 10 minutes. Add the potatoes and nettles and saute for 2 minutes. Add the stock and cover. Bring to boil and simmer for 15 minutes. Cool and then puree the soup. Stir in cream and season with a little nutmeg, salt and pepper.

nettlesgardens 006

Delicious.

No comments: