12.02.2009

My Sneaky One Year Old (and Chicken Pot Pie)

jacksonsun 007

Phew. One year olds are faster then you might think. I'm having a hard time keeping up with this guy these days. He seems to always be one step (actually more like seven steps) ahead of me. I merely turned away for a minute today to turn back around and see he had disappeared. I found him in the living room relaxing in his chair with a bag of chips. He constantly keeps me on my toes, working at keeping him safe, occupied, happy, busy. I did find this great activity today that kept him busy for over a half hour while I made dinner. Water and pots. The only downfall was the large puddle of water on the floor when he was finished. But really,a few minutes of clean up and some wet towels in exchange for a half hour of time... I'll take it.

jacksonsun 013

Tonight's dinner, (seriously delicious) chicken pot pie...

1 cup potato, diced
1 cup onion, diced
1 cup peas
1 cup carrot, diced
1/3 cup melted butter
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup half-and-half
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
4 cups chicken, cooked and chopped
2 pie crusts

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Saute onion, celery, carrots and potatoes in butter for 10 minutes.
3. Add flour to sauteed mixture, stirring well Cook one minute stirring constantly.
4. Combine broth and half and half.
5. Gradually stir into vegetable mixture.
6. Cook over medium heat stirring constantly until thickened and bubbly.
7. Stir in salt and pepper; add chicken and stir well.
8. Pour into shallow 2 quart casserole dish and top with pie shells.
9. Cut slits to allow steam to escape.
10. Bake for 40-50 minutes or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly and cooked through.

No comments: