3.17.2016

On St. Patrick's Day

2016-03-17_10-42-32
{Grace performing at the Landmark Center in St. Paul}

Grace has been hesitant to participate in the various performance and competition opportunities offered for Irish Dance.  Last year (her first year of dance) she simply opted out of all of it other than dance class and the recital at the end of the year.  Never wanting to push things on our children we felt very comfortable supporting her in that decision.  This year she decided she wanted to try a few things.  She tried a feis last fall and she really, really didn't like it.  She was upset with herself for making mistakes (of course she doesn't listen to me when I tell her everyone makes mistakes) and mostly she didn't like the idea of being judged.  I was worried she might let that one bad experience stop her from trying any of the other opportunities, but to my surprise, last month she decided she wanted to participate in the St. Patrick's Day show in St. Paul.  I was so, so, beyond words proud/inspired/moved by her decision. Especially this afternoon an hour before her performance when I could tell she was starting to feel very nervous.  The stage was so huge and bright with so many people crowded around it and the music and dancing were so loud.  It was intimidating even to me.
But she did it...

but before I get to that, let's start at the beginning of the day.

With all three kids wanting to see the parade we decided to make a day of it and arrived in St. Paul around 10:00.  We were able to stake out a great spot in the skyway to watch the parade.  Grandma Lee joined us for the day and met us at our parade watching spot.

2016-03-17_10-39-19
{Grandma outfitted all three in crazy St. Patrick's Day wear.}

2016-03-17_10-40-07
{Watching the parade}

While Grace and I went to her dance studio so she could practice her performance, Grandma took Nora and Jackson to the Children's Museum for a few hours.  Then we all met back at the Landmark Center.

2016-03-17_10-40-51
{Grace all dressed and ready.  Watching the other dancers from the forth floor.}

2016-03-17_10-42-45
{Her first dance.  She was smiling!  She later told me it was really fun.}

2016-03-17_10-42-38
{Her second dance.}

She really did such a great job!  And while I was so proud of how she did, I was a thousand more times proud of the fact that she did it!  I kept telling her that on the way home, I'm proud of you for doing it and I'm excited that you did so well.  But I want you to know I would be the same amount proud if you had made a thousand mistakes..  I'm just so proud and inspired that you gave it a try.  

She was so proud too, she was beaming the whole way home.

Grace Irish Dance 1
from Amy Miller on Vimeo.

Grace Irish Dance 2 from Amy Miller on Vimeo.

No comments: