5.20.2014

Parenting

026

007

027

029

018

Parenting is such a funny thing.  I find that anytime I feel like I am finally prepared to deal with a particular issue one of my children is struggling with, suddenly life will up the ante just a bit.  Last night I stayed up way too late watching everything Shefali Tsabary.  Her important message on parenting couldn't have come at a more perfect time for me.  I have been struggling so much with Grace lately and I really needed some guidance on how to handle things better.  I went to bed inspired and ready to face the day.  Then today came and it turns out what I really need is Shefali Tsabary to be sitting here in my kitchen with me.

Well, actually I didn't handle it that badly, and more importantly, what I'm learning is that these moments usually pass rather quickly.  And despite her resistance to our plans for our day ("but planting trees isn't fun!") and Grace telling me she wanted to hit me over the head with her metal shovel (she didn't of course- but having someone tell you that isn't exactly pleasant), once the day actually got going, it was a really good one.  So I also do need to remember to not let those moments carry so much weight.

Grace apologized several times later.  I know she doesn't want to say things like that or to act so defiantly.  She feels so bad afterwords.  Trying to help her find better ways to deal with her strong feelings is a tricky dance that Ryan and I spend a lot of time talking about these days.
 
But back to parenting being a funny thing.  After we got home from planting our trees with our homeschool group (it turns out it is fun), as we were sitting around in the warm sun playing with our baby chicks (who were so thrilled to be exploring the outdoors for the first time), and as Jackson picked dandelions... and Nora ate them... and Grace sang a tune, I was overcome with gratitude for the opportunity to be parenting these three silly, imaginative, creative, loving, and yes, sometimes challenging, little souls.

What a gift I have been given.

004

No comments: