5.29.2014

Gardening, Gardening and more Gardening

002

003

Little by little is how it seems to go these days with the garden.  It's not that I'm not out there, it's just that (and maybe this is how it always is) things seem to move in slow motion.  The last few mornings I have raced to get breakfast on the table so that I can get outside.  Today despite spending over two hours out there, I only had pumpkins planted.  Although Grace planted carrots and Jackson finally decided he was ready to plant his garden, so all that counts too of course.  But between helping those two and wheelbarrowing compost and leaves somehow pumpkins were the only thing I got done.  I don't know if I've ever spent as much time trying to prepare the soil as I've done this year.  Our soil here is not so great and our compost has definitely helped but it's still not ideal.  This year I mixed fresh compost into each bed before planting and then added another layer on top of that after it was planted.  They I added dried, mulched leaves and grass on top of all that.  It has been time consuming but hopefully it will pay off.  Tonight before everyone went to bed I managed to get my beans planted with the help of my littlest sidekick.  It will be interesting to see what comes up- and where- in that bed.  I think squash, edemame, and potatoes are all I have left.

No comments: