9.20.2013

Apple Sauce

20130920_102313

20130920_142253

Reason number 89 that we love homeschooling (soon I'll get into the other 88 reasons)- today was declared to be applesauce making day.  We spent a good portion of our day chopping and peeling apples and then making and canning the sauce.  Thanks to this handy, dandy blog I remembered that sweet sixteen apples are the way to go if you don't want to have to put sugar in your sauce.  So this year we picked all sweet sixteens.  A ridiculous amount actually.  Despite the fact that we canned up 7 big jars of sauce (I used my weck jars so the sizes are different- not pints or quarts) there are still several baskets of apples to get through.  That's okay though, apples are one of my favorite things to cook and can.  I do wish my camera wasn't broken though because they are also one of my favorite things to photograph.  Anyways, more canning and baking ahead this weekend.

20130920_142349


No comments: