4.09.2013

Today (Part II)

As many good days as there are to catch up on (tomorrow for sure), the last few weeks or so have also been met with so many challenges.  The sleepless nights are back.  At least a few times a week Nora wakes up in the night and is just awake for two or three hours.  That in itself is just about enough to put a parent over the edge, but the sickness is also starting to get tiresome.  Just when it seems that someone is getting better from being sick, another one of us begins to show symptoms of something new.  So perhaps the history of the situation is also contributing to my difficulty in dealing with our current illnesses and sleeplessness.  All I know is, last night as I lay in bed, I wasn't real happy with my day.  Not in a guilt/beat myself up sort of way, but it was just that as I played over the days events, I realized on this particular day, I just wasn't the person I wanted to be.  I don't want to be someone who is crabby in the morning before my feet even hit the floor just because I didn't get enough sleep.  Yes a lack of sleep will wear on me and so I can give myself a break, but I don't need to be mad before I've even spoken a word.  And on challenging days such as this one I want the ability to be able to summon some extra patience as opposed to being so short on it.  It is on these days especially that my children need that.  And I want to be someone who can loving care for her sick children and her sick husband.  At times I found myself feeling resentful toward Ryan instead of empathetic- and that's just not the wife or mother I want to be.  Yes I had mustered up some good in me during the day and had made the best of many moments, but I could do this better then this, I knew I could.

004

But then the morning came and it didn't go all that great.  After getting Grace off to school, I found myself trying to clean up the kitchen (while holding a sick baby in my other hand) as I desperately tried to piece together what exactly went wrong.  How can I be better at this?  Suddenly something in me shifted and I was overcome with a feeling of acceptance for my situation.  This is parenthood.  I signed up for this.  I tend to only remember that I "signed up" for the good stuff, but the truth is there are no surprises here.  Sickness and lack of sleep are pretty regular aspects of parenthood.

007

So with resentment and resistance out of the way I was suddenly opened up to all the good feelings again.
There is peace to be found in days such as this.
Even contentment.
What was even more surprising was that with acceptance on my side, everything felt so much easier.  So much easier.  I didn't have to try so hard (like I did yesterday) to muster up an ounce of kindness.  Kindness just naturally came.

20130409_160901

And tonight, as I look back on this day, I am proud to say that on this particular day, I was the mom/wife I want to be.  I was patient, kind, and loving, despite the circumstances.  Jackson and I spent the day having fun and learning about unicorns.  Nora and I took a cozy nap together (documented by Ryan).  I made my family a healthy dinner of baked salmon and salad.

We'll see if I'll be able to keep it up tomorrow.  It's going to be a long night as Nora started throwing up before bed and has a high fever.  Certainly there will be more "opportunities" for me to practice.

No comments: