10.16.2012

Harvesting

20121015_132903

Over the past month and a half we have been working hard to harvest everything from our garden.  There is still more to do yet but we are getting close to being finished.  The beets did well this year and we still have several to go.

003

The broccoli also did very well.  In fact after the top shoots bloomed the side shoots have continued to bloom all summer.  This makes the large plants much more tolerable.  I can't remember what kind it is but I need to look it up so we can do this kind again.

002


The tomatoes, not so much.  I didn't do so well this year.  This is the last of them.  I picked them green before the frost and put them in a bag with a banana to ripen.  That's why they look so perfect.  Unfortunately the taste is more like store bought this way but they are tomatoes none the less.  I also just learned that you can put them right into the freezer as is.  So I'm trying that with this batch since I wasn't in the mood for soup.

011

The onions did pretty good.  They didn't get as big as we would have liked but we did get a lot of them.

035

But maybe my favorite thing in our garden this year was the beans.  Those delicious green beans that we then let dry to black beans.  Jackson and I harvested them all a few weeks ago.

032

We go through A LOT of black beans at our house so growing them ourselves is very exciting to me.

037

Last year we saved them to seed and then replanted this year.  This year we dried enough to save for seed for next year AND to eat this winter.
I can't wait to try them!

040

We also harvested a lot of edemame at the end of the summer.  We couldn't keep up with eating it so we decided to blanch it and freeze it.

006

I think we will have enough for the whole winter.

001

There is still butternut squash, more kale and beets, and a second crop of lettuce and carrots out there.  Overall I'd say it was an okay year, and I guess considering we had a new baby it was probably better then I expected.

No comments: