5.03.2012

I Did It

018

One day during my very long pregnancy with Nora I was feeling particularly inspired and energetic and I decided to make the leap into cloth diapers.  No problem I thought, I think I'm ready for this.  I placed an online order and was thrilled when my big package of cloth diapers finally arrived.  Does it sound absolutely ridiculous to say I couldn't wait to use them.  I couldn't. 

Fast forward to several months later when Nora was here and I wasn't quite seeing things the same way.  Big problem... I don't want to do this anymore.  It all sounded so overwhelming.  But it was too late, I already made the investment.  I had to at least give it a try.  Thankfully I didn't buy any of the smallest size diapers thinking that it might be too hard to transition to three kids and cloth diapers all at the same time.  But eventually a couple months past and Grace started asking about them.  She had been practicing on her babies and was really excited to try them out "for real".  One day I decided to take out the big bag of them and have a look. 

Shoot.  Some of them would fit right now.  Shoot, shoot, shoot.  Ahh, but wait, it says right here I have to wash them three times.  And I specifically remember being told there was a special kind of soap to use.  Phew.  Put them away for now (far away) until I get the "special" soap. 

That bought me another month.  After some investigation I found that while some soap might be better then others, you don't have to use a special kind.

Hmmm, well as soon as I get caught up on the laundry, then I'll wash them and start using them. 

This bought me some more time.  But of course I eventually realized I'll never be caught up on the laundry.  Ever.  And so finally one day Jackson brought the big bag of diapers out of the closet (to use as a horse) and I gave in.  I washed them up (three times) and folded them nice and neat and placed them in a basket in the living room.  Everyone gathered around as I put the first one on Nora.  And there it was, I had officially begun.  While it looked a little bulky, it seemed soft and comfortable.  Later when I went to change her everyone gathered around again.  Wow, they work!

I've only been using them for four days but I have to say that I really do LOVE them.  They're really no different then just changing a regular diaper and since I already do 89 loads of wash a week whats a few diapers.  But mostly I just feel so good about it.  I'm doing my part by not being as wasteful and I plus I feel like it must be so much more comfortable for her.  She seems happy about it anyway.

015

No comments: