7.13.2010

Tree Identification

I spent a good portion of my day today trying to identify these three trees. After many google serches and repeated tree staring and head scratching, I finally figured it out.

#1 Seviceberry, also know as the Juneberry
tressgardens 003
Delicious berries (I managed to find two that were still on the tree) that are ready in June. They kind of taste like a blueberry. This is my most exciting discovery of today- I can't wait to harvest them next year.


#2 Mountain Ash
tressgardens 007
Also growing berries that will be ready in a month or so. Although they are not so good raw, they make great jam and wine.


#3 Catalpa Tree
tressgardens 010
This tree has huge beautiful leaves that I never really noticed before. It also grows beans (not edible) and there is a worm that is attracted to these beans. It is know as the fisherman's tree because when the worms are in season fisherman have been known to shake the tree and gather the worms to fish with, apparently they love them.

No comments: