2.22.2016

Random Thoughts From Our Week

006
{Some of our library books from this week.}

001
{Finishing up learning about Sweden}

012
{Next year's wood looking pretty in the sunset}

023
{Spring trying to peek through}

029
{Making carrot muffins}

032
{despite my love of aprons I always forget to put mine on, she never forgets}

039
{Sampling their work}

020

025
{Melting skating pond}

2016-02-21_10-36-46
{Reading a family favorite}

We have decided to make Thursday our library day.  Not sure how this will go considering each time we go to the library we come home with 89 books but my hope is that we can return some each week as well.  Jackson and I just finished that book on top "Elmer and the Dragon".  It is the second in a three part series and they are our favorite.  This month I've also decided we are going to learn about John James Audubon.  I think they will enjoy that along with studying song birds for nature studies.  It seems like a good fit for spring.  Jackson also picked out a book on making homemade bird feeders so maybe we will do that too.

This weekend Ryan and the kids put the taps in the trees for syrup making.  We didn't really expect to be getting any yet but by the end of the day several of the buckets were starting to collect sap.  We managed to get through a whole year with our syrup from last year (still have a few jars left actually).  We have only managed to do that with a few things (edemame and venison a few years back and this year I think we will also make it with frozen strawberries and apple sauce) but it always feels so triumphant.

We have had some lovely days with our homeschool group over the last few weeks.  Two weeks ago the kids spent four hours playing games together- red rover, freeze tag, etc.  I kept thinking we were going to leave but everyone was so happy none of the moms could bring themselves to break it up.  This week we went sledding and then after lunch played gym games.  We again ran into the same "problem", no one wanting to end the happy game playing (this time basketball and soccer).  It is of course not always like this but whenever it is I am reminded how capable, kind and thoughtful children really are.

At home we have been having some really peaceful days too... with the exception of last Friday. We had a rough day here on Friday.  This happens periodically and yet somehow each time I am surprised and taken down by it.  In my head I start plotting to immediately register them for school or just put them on a bus (any bus).  Even after Ryan got home the day never really let up and finally I decided I just needed to go to bed early and start over.  This was a good choice for me.  Everything really was better after some sleep.

I am almost finished working on my art room upstairs. I am so in love with it. I spent a good portion of my Sunday working on various projects in there. I'm hoping to get in the habit of working in there after the kids are in bed. Two weeks ago for two nights in a row I set up all my paints after dinner so that I could get right to painting as soon as everyone was sleeping. It was so enjoyable and fulfilling, yet for some reason I haven't done it since.  Why that is I do not know. Anyway, working toward a habit.

No comments: