12.15.2015

A Snapshot


053

This morning at 10:30 this was the scene before me.  We should have been starting school.  Or in the very least we should have been cleaning up for school.  But we weren't doing any of those things.  Instead we got to enjoy the rare treat of Ryan's company as he worked from home for the morning.  Jackson was busy building with his legos.  Grace was absorbed in cutting out her new paper dolls.  And just out of site but not out of earshot Nora played "critters" upstairs singing a sweet little Christmas song as she played.

Later as I was looking at this picture I realized there are so many little clues to our life right now in this picture.  Those dishes on the table, those are from breakfast because it is winter now and that means in the morning we eat in the living room to be closer to the fireplace.  Those Christmas stockings have been draped on the rocking chair for a few weeks now, patiently waiting for me to hang them.  Christmas books are scattered everywhere as we read several each day.  That open puzzle box in the front of the picture is empty because just out of the shot is the put together puzzle. Nora puts it together every morning, usually right after breakfast.  The chapter book on the floor is "The Boxcar Children" (one of my favorite books growing up), Grace read it a few years ago and now she's reading it to Jackson and Nora.  Way in the back behind Ryan's head is our advent calendar.  This year I finally finished it (it only took me 5 years).  We spend a few minutes each day there, lighting candles and saying our verse.  Lastly I see various scraps of paper tossed about.  There is not a day that goes by that I don't tend to scraps of paper.  Notes, pictures, ideas.  So many scraps of paper.

There are so many things that we should have been doing this morning.  But I could not bring myself to disturb this scene.  It was too good.

No comments: