6.25.2014

Strawberry Picking

20140625_113112

20140625_113143

20140625_121413

20140625_121727

001

When I read the forecast for today I knew we just had to go berry picking.  It was cool, in the 60's, with an overcast of clouds.  No bugs.  It was perfect berry picking weather (completely opposite of our hot day last year).  Grace and Jackson were serious about their picking, both hardly stopping to taste any as they worked to fill their baskets.  Though after an hour Jackson decided that Nora's idea of berry picking was much more appealing and he surrendered his basket and laid down in the field to join her in a berry feast.  

This past winter I managed to ween us off of out of season berries.  It was a big step for us/me.  To get our berry fix all winter I started buying (Minnesota grown) frozen berries.  We got in the habit of using them for smoothies, in yogurt, or just eating them plan.  We ended up going through a lot of frozen berries so one of my strawberry picking goals this year was to try and get us through the winter with our own hand picked berries.  So far I have froze 19 bags of berries (with piles left over to eat and make jam with).  I am feeling pretty good about that.  The farm we pick at also has late summer strawberries so we'll even get one more chance to pick.

No comments: