12.09.2010

Our Advent Calendar

Adventcal 012

When I was growing up, advent was such a special time for us. My mom had this wonderful homemade advent calendar that my sister and I absolutely loved. It had pockets for different symbols/animals and each day you would hang one on the "tree" and read a little verse for each picture.

Adventcal 005

My mom recently found our old advent calendar and I got really excited thinking we would start using it for our family. But when it arrived I realized that 1) it was pretty worn and would need some repair, and 2) all but one of the verses was missing (which ended up being okay as after I read it I realized that they wouldn't have been quite right for our family anyway). So I decided instead to make my own using our old calendar as inspiration.

Adventcal 008

I wanted to focus on the season and nature as much as family and togetherness- as well as trying to invoke an overall sense of gratitude. For each picture there is a small saying that relates to that picture. For example for the mitten we read, "With the season of advent also comes the season of winter. We delight as snow transforms everything around us into a world of sparkling white. We may pause to catch a snowflake on our tongue, or make an angel in the fresh powdery snow. As we hang this mitten on the tree today let us remember all of the wonderful gifts that come with winter. Let us also be grateful for our mittens, hats, and all our warm clothes that make it possible for us to be outside enjoying nature during this
cold season."

Adventcal 007

For a few of the days I also added an activity or a little surprise. When we hung up the moon I wrote "As the moon and stars shine down on a snow covered earth they create a magical glowing light. Before you go to bed tonight look out the window and see if they are out. They shine throughout the night as you lie snuggled in your bed. For a special bedtime surprise go look upstairs in your room." and then I gave them the jammies I made them.

Adventcal 004

I'm not sure it will be finished this year. It is a work in progress as I am basically finishing it as we go. But that's okay. Even if I don't get around to finishing all of it- it will still provide us with a delightful way to savor our days during this busy holiday season.

No comments: