2.06.2012

20120114_124719

While I was incredibly happy to come home after our two and a half week stay at the hotel, every time we drive by it now, I find myself feeling just a tiny bit nostalgic.  It was kind of a fun way to spend our last days together as a family of four. 

A few things I learned from our stay at room 234...

1.  I had already thought of myself as a minimalist, but after living in such a small space with so few things I realized I still have a long ways to go.  Nonetheless, I am inspired.  Less really is more.

2.  When I was little, all I talked about was growing up and living on a farm.  I think my kids now want to grow up and live in a hotel.

3.  When we first got to the hotel I thought we were going to have to become TV watchers since it didn't seem possible to live in such a little space without some kind of entertainment.  Thankfully I was wrong.  There are a lot of interesting new things to play in a hotel room.

4.  Like "cooking" with water and toilet paper.  I'm kind of embarrassed by how many rolls of toilet paper I allowed them to used playing this game.  But I told myself it's not that different then giving your kids a stack of paper to paint on (I'm not sure this is true but it made me feel better).

5.  Having someone clean your "house" everyday is nice.

6.  Having a bathroom right next to your bed when your 18 months pregnant (and having to use the bathroom every hour) is WAY better then having to go all the way downstairs to use the bathroom (every hour).

7.  If it's New Year's Eve and you find yourself forced to stay in a hotel room with two little kids make sure you have some earplugs.  Everyone else is there by choice. 

8.  Two and a half weeks of swimming almost everyday is enough time to learn how to swim.

9.  Having to eat out all the time is really fun for awhile.  But after too long you start to miss home cooked meals.

10.  It's always good to be home, but coming home after being gone for so long WITH a new baby is doubly sweet. 

No comments: