5.21.2010

Fresh Flowers

forms 070

I first became inspired to start collecting fresh flowers after beginning my Waldorf Early Childhood training two and a half years ago. Followers of Waldorf education believe that children are like sponges, taking in all that surrounds them. As a result of this, great emphasis is placed on creating a space of natural beauty. During our trainings we are always reminded how simple little gestures such as fresh flowers help create a nourishing environment for small children.

Over the past couple years I have come to see how true this really is. And not only for my children, but for myself as well. They are small fragrant reminders of the natural abundance of life.

Today I came down the stairs from putting Jackson to sleep for his nap and found Grace had gone outside. I wondered around the side of the house to find her cutting fresh flowers from the lilac bush. "Oh, hi mama," she smiled, "I was going to surprise you."

Little does she know what a great a surprise it was. The only thing better then discovering an unexpected bouquet of flowers on the table is stumbling upon your daughter creating one.

No comments: