1.11.2010

Experiment 1: Day 1

Experiment1 003

Experiment1 006

Experiment1 015

Experiment1 027

Experiment1 038

So last week, in attempts to squelch any winter boredom or after Christmas blues feelings, I designed a set of four experiments. Each one will be tested everyday, for one week. I decided to begin with my outdoors experiment (building on my outdoors enthusiasm from this weekend). I will record our daily tasks and reactions here on the blog. So, here goes...

Experiment 1

Task: Go outside everyday and enjoy ourselves... no matter what the temperature. Observe feelings, reactions, effects.

Reactions of Day 1, Experiment 1:
Even though I know it is soooo good for children, I become a big baby when it comes to being outside in less then ideal weather. In particular, the cold. It seems like so much work to get everyone all bundled up only to still be cold. So I created this first experiment to force myself to brave the elements and get out there. I also wanted to notice if my children seemed different from this experience.

Today when I announced we were going outside they were ecstatic. "Snow" Jackson exclaimed in his little one year old voice. I decided to go out shortly after breakfast, let them wear their jammies (under their snow clothes) and then take a hot tubby when we came in. This worked great for many reasons, first of all, it eliminated some of the steps to "getting ready" allowing us for a faster get away with less of a production. And the tubby served as both a way to warm them up when they came in, and a way to get Jackson to agree to come in without a fight.

Being outside itself was great. Once again I was reminded that I love the winter... once I'm out there. The snow was deep and adventurous. We found deer tracks and deer "beds" in the woods. Grace made snow angels and trekked through what she called "the deep". Jackson ate snow... a lot of snow. I marveled at the beauty of frozen surroundings and stillness. After about a half hour Grace said she was cold and ready to come in.

The rest of the morning went really well...due to fresh air perhaps?? I know for me, I felt calmer and more peaceful after being outside. Not to mention I felt good about myself, knowing I had provided with them with a morning of snow play and adventure.

No comments: